Happy Saturday! This week’s Studio Selfie features Massachusetts-based still life artist Teresa Fischer. Teresa is one of six artists in the group exhibition “Virtual Reality” at Principle Gallery Charleston this month. The show features a stunning array of hyperrealistic works, including several of Teresa’s newest paintings. Highly regarded for her whimsical, cleverly composed, and astoundingly realistic paintings, Teresa seeks to give nostalgic toys and objects a moment in the spotlight. Be sure to check out all of Teresa’s available work here, and view the whole Virtual Reality show by clicking here!
10 Questions for the Artist: Teresa Fischer
- Fill in the blank: Paint is a language with endless possibilities.
- Cats/Dogs? hmmm. . . that is a tough one. I grew up with both and still have both. I truly can’t imagine not having one or another. In my studio my cat is usually sitting behind me and my dog is sleeping at my feet.
- Your first car: A black 1980 Ford Mustang hatchback that I inherited from my sister. It was slow as molasses and each time I filled it with gas I had to add a quart of oil. But it always got me where I needed to be.
- Favorite painting music: U2, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Feist, The Ting Tings, Colin Hay, Bjork, Andrew Bird.
- Your “spirit animal”: I would say the dragonfly. They always seem to show up when they are needed. This is what I found about them: The Dragonfly carries the wisdom of transformation and adaptability in life. As spirit animal, the dragonfly is connected to the symbolism of change and light. When the dragonfly shows up in your life, it may remind you to bring a bit more lightness and joy into your life. You may be inclined to delve deep into your emotions.
- If you could time travel and witness an artist create their masterpiece, which work would you choose? I would love to watch Edwin Austin Abbey as he planned out and painted his murals for the Boston Public Library, The Quest and Achievement of the Holy Grail. Here is a link of a video showing them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpDD9uiwvxs#t=35
- All time favorite movie: Labyrinth
- Place you’d love to travel to: Italy
- Morning person or night owl? I used to be very much a night owl, but as I have gotten older more of a morning person.
- If I weren’t an artist, I think I’d be an art therapist. But that is still around art, does that count? Not art related I would want to raise horses.