Today’s #StudioSelfieSaturdays features local artist Elizabeth Floyd! Located right here in Alexandria, VA, Elizabeth specializes in lovely still life compositions, full of color and life. (Check them out here!) In this selfie, though, you can see some portraits in the background–that’s because she’s practicing for the upcoming Face Off, where she will be painting a model live at the gallery along with artists Cindy Procious and Mia Bergeron! This exciting event will be held this coming Friday, August 8th, starting at 6PM. Don’t miss it!
10 Questions for the Artist
- Paint is: entrancing, that is, oil paint and the myriad ways you can apply it is entrancing.
- Cats/Dogs? both, and right now I have a loving and sweet Abyssinian kitty named Slim
- Your first car: Toyota 4Runner
- Favorite painting music: my Pandora station of Kings of Leon, Sex on Fire
- Your “spirit animal”: a feline
- If you could time travel and witness an artist create their masterpiece, which work would you choose? When I am feeling serene and contemplative, Vermeer’s Woman Holding a Balance, and when I am feeling upbeat and curious, Velazquez’s Las Meninas
- All time favorite movie: I don’t have an all time favorite, but I love to watch a few movies over and over, such as Lost in Translation, The Violin, and the biopic about Keats, Bright Star
- Place you’d love to travel to: England, all over, but particularly the Lake District and the Cotswolds. I would go from one beautiful garden to the next.
- Morning person or night owl? Night owl who has shifted to being more of a morning person out of necessity
- If I weren’t an artist, I think I’d be: I would only be an artist because I tried another career in architecture before becoming a full time artist and I know it is the best career in the world for me.